Abuse - Help With Abuse from your Person Centred Therapist

Abuse occurs when a person behaves in a controlling manner thus suppressing the freewill of the other person in the relationship. Get help with abuse from your Person Centred Therapist

There most common types of abuse are as follows: -

Physical Abuse

Physical abuse includes biting, choking, hitting, kicking, punching, slapping, stamping.

Emotional or Psychological Abuse

Emotional Abuse or Psychological Abuse may include threatening to harm, belittling, intimation, shaming, racial abuse, isolation, refusing to help someone when they are ill, forbidding them to work, not allowing the person to access benefits or other supportive services.

Financial Abuse

Financial Abuse includes, fraud, withholding money, applying pressure on the person so that they hand over their wages or benefits.

Religious Abuse

In Religious Abuse the person may manipulate the teachings of their religion to inflict harm or punishment.

Sexual Abuse

Sexual Abuse is any sexual act to which the person has not or could not consent and/or where the person was pressurised into consenting.

Who are the Victims of Abuse?

For most of us when we think about domestic violence and abuse, a common image that comes to mind is that of a heterosexual relationship where the woman is the victim. However, it is important to recognise that men, same sex relationships, disabled people and family members are also the victims of abuse and domestic violence. Nobody has the right to abuse you and nobody deserves to be abused. Anyone can experience abuse regardless of race, ethnicity or lifestyle.

Some ways to access help if you are being abused

  • Remember that both abused men and women have the same legal rights.
  • If you feel you or your children are in immediate danger, ring the emergency services 999 and ask for the police.
  • You are at your most vulnerable when you are about to leave an abusive relationship as this is when the violence is at its greatest so you will need to plan ahead.
  • Confide in a friend who may be able to provide you with some local support agencies who specialise in abuse and you could supply your friend with a code word that you can give them that you are in danger of imminent abuse.
  • Get medical attention for any injuries.
  • Speak to your GP who will be able to refer you to a counsellor and give you a list of agencies who deal with abuse.
  • Allow yourself to share your experience of abuse with your counsellor.
  • Keep a record of the times, dates and places where the abuse occurred.

Online Consultations

In these times of sensible Social Distancing practices, I am now able to offer online consultations.

Please contact me for further information, prices and availability.